Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Monday, September 7, 2015

Jacob's recovery

The tongue hanging out always helps him feel better. You can tell how upset he is by how far it hangs out.

Normally we say "Tongue in Jakie!" But after brain surgery we'll just let him do whatever it takes to feel better.

I LOVE this boy so much. I dared not breathe as I prayed to God to heal him. Until now. Now I REJOICE as I pray in Thanks giving!

What would I do without my Jacob? I don't even want to know. I have three daughters in Heaven. God knows I want to precede the rest of my children in death.


The new incision, sewn up much nicer and tighter than the last. It's about an inch longer. They sure don't cut much hair off for this. I really should have given him a hair cut first. But he hates hair cuts the most, so I did not want to upset him.
Stitches come out in 14 days. And we have to drive 70 miles to the Neuro at the U of MN office just for that. He won't see his Neuro for post op until 3 months later.

 Once home he slept semi sitting in Mercy's time out chair. (Rifton Feeder chair) I think he thought he was having a time out because he was not happy about it at all. Poor guy. Laying flat was not recommended for a few days. Tonight he is laying on his tummy hugging his soft blankie that Auntie Sonya in TX made him when he came home. It has washed well and is as soft as ever! It's his favorite. :o) 

He came home Friday night throwing up- darn pain meds were not helpful for his tummy. We put him on liquid Tylenol and then he could eat. We had to start small, a few bites every half hour or so until he turned his head away. Everything soaked in broth to hydrate since it hurt for him to drink. He's not a big drinker anyway.


He was so happy to be home. And he seemed to feel much better all around, than he had in months.

He used to laugh and sing the first year home. As time went on he'd laugh, not much, but still laugh. There was eventually no more singing. 
He never complained or cried. But was he having a lot of pain from the large incision of the Dura being open? Or from the brain fluid leaking? Or from the brain fluid disintegrating his skull?

Whenever we ask the Neuro about Mercy's head pain she tells us - nope, she has no pain. But then why does she respond so well to Tylenol? Or cry if we don't give it to her? And why did a Grandma tell me she too had an AVM and it hurt??

So we didn't ask Jakie's Neuro about past pain. We try not to think about the possibility of him suffering so long.

 And maybe its just me.................


But I think this surgery has helped him in many ways that we had no idea it would help him. He is happier. He is more bonded. He is pain free. Everything we always hoped for!
Of course we had no idea how awful his situation had become.
(his blankie is in the background ;o)

We are so so SO THANKFUL! God is Good!

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad he is doing well. Sounds like he has been through so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that Jacob is home and doing well! What a blessing that the doctors found the problem and were able to "fix" it before it got even worse. I liked seeing the pictures of Jacob with all the smiles after the surgery. I hope this surgery continues to make him feel better as his head heals. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure I have ever commented before but after seeing this post I just had to. In these pictures Jacob looks like a totally different child, in the best possible way, of course! His smile now lights up the room.

    While awful to have had surgery, it appears this was the best thing ever for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a beautiful smile he has! How wonderful to already see such positive changes, even unexpected ones. Thank you, God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been sharing these posts about Jacob on the Reece's Rainbow Facebook group, so he has had extra people praying for him, I'm sure. Love this little guy - ONE of these days I'll make it back to you to finally meet him ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks so happy to be home!! Sweet boy. We pray for coninued quick healing and good health from here on out! Give him a hug from me! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I'm so glad to see Jacob happy and seemingly doing well with his recovery. The trip to Camp Uffta(?) sounds like it's much needed for everyone.
    Isn't it nice when something so simple as a soft, cuddly blanket can bring such comfort and security? I have two that still use theirs throughout the day. ;)
    Enjoy your time at the lake!
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please forgive me Sonya, I spelled your name wrong! (((((HUGS)))))

      Delete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))