Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Monday, June 3, 2013

MA still very very sick/ and teaching special children how to feed themselves!

MA is still very very sick. PLEASE!! continue to pray.

Today I heard about a 41 year old woman with DS who was "diagnosed" with oppositional defiance disorder. I thought it was a bit much- we are a society diagnosing everything now-a-days! And I laughed! My Julius is hyperactive. But I would never diagnose him as ADHD. He has been "diagnosed" enough! People pre-judge when we hear a diagnosis. We can't help it, some of us don't get it, and us who do imagine how it might present. We judge what we know. So I judge DS. And I judge it something I LOVE- everything else that comes with it just is- just what it is! :o)
My very humble opinion!

So- feeding little boys who don't understand that it is a good thing!
I have wracked my brain with Noah, Jacob and Pauly. They have no interest in self feeding. (Julius is feeding himself, Mosie we will have to wait and see yet, his hand is too tiny for a spoon and he still gags without chewing!)

And so it hit me. (Sorry no pictures our photographer spends 13 hours a day with MA at the hospital. I'll get one soon.) I place Noah on my lap with his back to me. I pull us both up to the table. And I hold his left hand on the bowl and the spoon in his right hand. And we hand over hand feed! This way he's not throwing his spoon and tipping his bowl!

Repetition makes this work. We see it with Jacob every day. We move his legs, arms etc in ways he should move them, repeatedly as he dresses etc. He can now (After 8 months) move his legs to walk as we let him lean back on us standing. You have to be patient. It takes time! But since I LOVE interacting with my boys it is more than fun for me! Bonding time! And better than feeding them, for them.

Noah gets such a kick out of eating this way. Jacob isn't sure, he is like a starving little bird. As the spoon comes to him, he sucks in air. He used to suck in air all times of the day to fill his tummy in the orphanage. Now he only does it if he's stressed about seeing his food and wanting it now! Pauly doesn't think this way of eating is much fun at all. But he goes along with it! He pouts and holds food in his cheeks to show his distaste in trying something new! Poor baby!

So in case anyone else finds this helpful I thought I'd share! :o)
Now I must get back to my LOVE MA.
(((HUGS)))

5 comments:

  1. Prayers for MA. Hugs to you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for MA. Thank you for sharing the feeding/teaching tips :) Blessings, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still praying for MA; I hope she is okay.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))