Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Syndromes

I don't have any cute pictures right now. :o) But these are kind of funny.
Most times I yell~ "Tom take a picture!" or to the kids I yell~ "Tell dad to take a/your picture!" Or "Tom I need some pictures of....."

But here. Tom washed Pauly's hair! His (Dad's) first time. So I guess it warranted pictures? LOL? You could hear Pauly protesting loudly up the stairs behind him. He hates bathing, hair washing, face washing.

And then Tom took this picture~
Clean hair is beautiful...........but?

And this? picture?
I do love this head and this hair, but had not ever really thought about photographing it! LOL!!

I've been thinking a lot about Syndromes lately.

How when I say Down Syndrome, it doesn't really bother me. I know some people post D with a small s, some say "Downs", and other things to make it sound not so ? I'm not sure. :o) For me it's not hard to say~ "Oh! My son has Down Syndrome!" and I smile with great joy. Knowing they were fearfully and wonderfully made!

But when I say Policystic Ovary Syndrome http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.cfm which is "my" syndrome.

It does bother me to have a "syndrome". I don't know why. I think I "feel" slighted. Which is crazy. I shouldn't. God has used my PCOS to show that even if I share this with other women, (its very common) I am still me! Not the syndrome!

If I share with women friends, I always say "I have PCOS" never mentioning "syndrome".
It is an endocrine disease that is hereditary, and from our findings both my paternal grandparents had it. No grandpa did not have ovaries, but it is not exclusive to ovaries. It is affects the Endocrine system in very similar ways, male or female. Yes they do also call it a "disease" in the medical books. But that seems/sounds odd to me too.
Both my birth daughters were worried about inheriting it. They didn't.
My OBGYN said if that was the worst thing they inherited from me it was no worries! LOL!

And now I'm learning about a new Syndrome (sorry can't explain it yet) that is going to affect another family member, but that Syndrome is always called only by its first name, like "Downs". Then we will have three Syndromes in our house.

And that got me thinking.

Searching and reading definitions of syndrome. They sounded cold.

But one definition I found said " syndrome, "concurrence of symptoms".
That didn't sound too bad.

Sometimes I like my "concurrence of symptoms". They explain some of the who and why of the physical me. But they are just symptoms! Sometimes I hate them, sometimes I fear them. Sometimes they frustrate me!

And yet I know my syndrome does not define me, just as DS does not define those I live with and love. Because we are more human than we are our syndrome! We are more alike than we are our syndrome! I like to think our syndrome just adds a little uniqueness to us! Spice in our life!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting to think about. I looked up the link to your "syndrome" and it sure sounds like each of your natural children are miracles! God is so good. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! When my GYN has young newly diagnosed women ask if they can have children, she tells them yes, it may not be a possibility, and then she tells them about me!! I used no medications and no birth control! And my Isaiah that came when I was 47 really spices up the Drs story about my experience now! God is Good!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))