Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Monday, January 14, 2013

A post on drinking for Sam's mom~ Grace!! ;o)

Grace I couldn't find your e-mail address! So I thought I'd write a tutorial here on "drinking" LOL!! Except I don't have time to photograph each step! :o) And make it look pretty and fun!

So I'll just write it with pictures of cute boys in-between!

I'll start off saying- drinking involves the mouth! What are 2 things a person can control- eating and pottying. No one can make us eat or potty. So saying that~ trust and LOVE are huge issues if you want to encourage drinking! (which sounds exactly like what you are doing!)

To start off I like to hold their faces in my hands and gently do other things first. Like wipe their eyes, wash their faces with a warm wash cloth, rub a little lotion on their neck (they like the smell) all the while talking to them in my happy mommy voice. Smiling, and giving eye contact as much as they'll accept. Then I open their mouths gently, touch their teeth- gently wash their mouths. Often they put their hands up to stop me. But if I put their hands down and say no sweetly, they relax.

Everything at the orphanage had been done to them. Not done for them! This is the momma stuff I mentioned before, I want them to learn~ mommas do things for you. They learn this is our routine, soon they expect me to do this stuff. They allow it! They give me permission!

Lots of sensory teaching is involved.
 
Julius does not like to drink! He "drinks" through a small medication syringe, the old fashioned kind with the squeezie bulb on the end. (think mini turkey baster!) He also drinks from the syringe with the push plunger. He can drink off of a small baby spoon too. Each day we fix him small cups of milk or juice and he practices drinking. He's a tongue thruster. He'd like to drink with his little tongue like a kitten! :o) 
I also take a straw and put it into the liquid, hold my finger over the end holding the liquid in and encourage him to suck on the straw that way because he can't yet suck liquid into the straw.
When we feed him meals we always add bread soaked in broth, milk or juice. (I make broth in a crock pot so it is full of vitamins) This adds liquid to his diet since he can't drink enough on his own. He doesn't hold a cup yet.
 
Pauly drinks from a straw like nobodies business! He loves food and drinks! However he cannot take liquid from a spoon! It all runs out his mouth?? He can drink pretty well from a cup, but still dribbles. :o) He doesn't hold a cup yet.
 

Jacob does not like to drink out of anything! He has ataxia from his arachnoidal cysts in his brain, which affects his ability to swallow. When he drinks his throat muscles tighten. It sounds painful. He drinks from a syringe because he can't keep the liquid in his mouth yet from a cup. We also add milk,broth and juice soaked bread to get more liquid in him. He does not like bottles. He can't "hold" things like spoons and cups yet, his hands shake.
 
Noah drinks out of a bottle. He loves his bottle. He does hold it himself! He would drink every meal all day long out of his bottle if we let him! He is a bottle guy. However- we use a medication syringes, straws, spoon, cup, to teach him new ways to drink! It is going slow. He has a hard time keeping the liquid in his mouth and swallowing. He does not like to be held drinking
his bottle.We can see that he'd love to keep his bottle forever, but after his surgery heals in February, we will only use it if we have to!! Like if he was sick and refused other drinking methods. 
 
Mosie drinks from a medication syringe only. He refuses a cup touching his lips! He hits and bats at straws that come near him. He hates bottles. He is our pickiest drinker and yet because he loves us all so much, he lets us try the spoon and the cup with him. Then he looks at us like "See, told ya it wouldn't work!" LOL!! Oh my what a guy! He needs to drink water with his thyroid medicine. That was how we began trying to figure out how to get him to drink. Before that we soaked bread in milk, juice, or broth. But thyroid meds need water! So now he's a champion medicine syringe drinker! 
 
Brushing teeth is another good way to play around with their mouths and desensitize them from rejecting things being put in their mouths. We do this by laying them on their backs, turning them upside down to us. So their head is upside down. Then we brush, (no toothpaste) floss etc. They don't really care for it. But being upside down they are much more cooperative. Our dentist taught us this. It's part of our after eating routine, so they expect it! 
I guess you can see it takes a lot of time and experimenting! When we soak bread with liquid, we never mash the bread. We pick it into bite size chunks. Then pour milk, juice, or broth on it. We judge by how wet their diapers are if we need to give more! And they soak their diapers! :o)
 
And there you are! Drinking 101 by the Archer boys! :o)
(((HUGS))) 

12 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, I just love you. Thank you so much! From reading this, I feel like we may be more "on track" than I thought. Sam has good wet diapers! But my pediatrician, when I tell her how much she drinks, always says she needs to drink more...and we try! She's a great bottle drinker. But she's getting very busy and won't sit for long periods of time to drink like she used to (before she had energy). And she's not interested in feeding herself a bottle. She would much rather throw it :) I like the soaked bread idea. I add liquids to her other foods as well, but anything too runny runs right out of her mouth, so bread is a much better idea! As for tooth brushing...that is another story. Sam is adamantly against hair brushing, tooth brushing, ear exams, temperature taking...haha. My Sammers is very strong and strong willed! Of course, she had to be. We're working on it at her pace :) Thank you thank you for answering my questions. I am soaking in everything you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. Sometimes for the boys who were more adamently anti-head touching I ask another child or Tom to hold their hands while I hold their faces gently in my hands and inspect ears- remove food from hair etc. They are so starved for attention even if they turn away, they like a momma's touch. After a few days they seem to "get" that this is what I want- that it's o.k. and they cooperate. Jakie now holds my hands as I do these things. But often I think they just don't understand at first what we want or expect, and they do want to love us. But they want to know why! So once they understand, they let me know it's o.k.- "I can let mom do this"- they remember from the routine! They are smart!! Repitition is always helpful! When it breaks through to them I of course gush over them with JOY!! (((HUGS)))

      Delete
    2. Have you tried an electric toothbrush, Grace? Niko loves all things vibrating, and so toothbrushing is now one of his favourite things. I realize Sam may not be so thrilled with it, though.

      Thanks for these drinking tips, Elizabeth!

      Delete
    3. Oh wow! I HATE my electric tootbrush- it tickles!! LOL!!
      (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth this has also helped me a great deal. Thank you. You are a terrific mommy who has so much love to give!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eliz, what a wonderful help to moms helping their precious ones learn to drink and eat.
    I wondered, do you make bone broth for your kiddos? I just discovered this wonderful stuff ~ it cured Sarah's mild eczema and even cleared up my horrid eczema on my hands ~ and I've been treating those spots with no luck for years! Plus, my joints feel better ~ no more arthritis in my hands! Our hair is all better, nails are stronger. Wow ~I LOVE this stuff. I use any and every bone from every meal I make, simmer them for at least a day or more in the crock pot, then we make soups or rice or beans from the broth, or just drink it straight. Just wondered if you guys are eating bone broth, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Brenna. Yes!! Bone broth! We use the crock pot to cook all of our meats, it's the quickest most efficient way. Then we save the bone/bones and continue to cook. Often I "bag" 2 pieces of chicken to start a broth if I have no meat planned for dinner. The bone is really what gives the flavor! We eat a lot of soup- bean, barley, rice, veggie. We even "boil" macaroni noodles in the broth in the crock pot! We have an 8 qt crock pot that actually boils on high. Add the noodles which soak up 75% of the broth and the kids love that added to their soup! We cook all of our fresh veggies like potatoes and carrots in the broth often too! Plain potatoes tast "off" to us now! The broth just keeps getting better and better as it cooks! I am into spices now too- I "mix" my own. Paprika, cumin, italian etc- all together. After cooking in the crock pot for hours these spices hold up! We add onion and garlic last! Those two kind of boil away as it cooks. The flavor of homemade broth is so much better than any you can buy. As the boys eat, the older kids stand by and ask "Can I have a taste!" LOL!! It smells so good! The older kids even want chunks of bread soaked in their soup now too! LOL! Silly kids!!
      (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  4. Oh my this must take a long time or you have developed a great system. I applaud you for it and even greater to give this very useful information to others. Your a hero especially to those boys!
    pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind Pat! Thank You! And yes it takes a long time in the beginning. But the older boys catch on fast and once they "get it" it goes faster as they learn it! (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  5. I forgot to add- the older kids play "tea party" with the boys so they "pretend" to drink all day!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great ideas, thank you, Elizabeth! Tommy's hardly getting any liquids right now and we'll need to get much more into him once he's home. Drinking can be a tough one!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))