Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Monday, November 26, 2012

mother's intuition

I thank God for my mother's intuition. It is truly the biggest blessing God equips me with as a mom.

Recently we started having concerns about Gabriel. He's been on a medication since he was 16. At first it was dosed by spraying into his nasal passages. I took Gabe to the Dr to be diagnosed. But I left Tom to purchase the medication and follow up with it.

I really should have read the side effects. I regret that I was too busy.

It was very expensive, $75.00 a bottle. After a year and a half they switched him to a pill. The pharmacy said the spray was too expensive. Tom and I also found it not to be very effective for Gabe's problem. I also don't think Gabe was dosing it in his nose right. It's tricky.

He started the pill 6 months ago. And that's when he didn't seem like our same angel Gabriel.

These are the top side effects- 
•nausea, vomiting, weakness, loss of appetite, headache, feeling restless or irritable, confusion, hallucinations, muscle pain or weakness, and/or seizure;

Gabe has always been sensitive to medications. But you'd think he'd complain?? No not one word! He's had adverse reactions to meds before. 

He has totally lost his appetite. And now I realize his restlessness and irritability are so much worse on the medication. Tom and I were concerned that he was becoming rebellious. But that's not like him at all.  Hallucinations? His thoughts have become worrisome, I thought he was lying to me about odd things he said. He's not understanding us well or following through on conversations or directions we give him. If we question him about it, he answers our questions with odd answers. And we're not able to rationalize with him.

We discontinued the medicine immediately.

Could you say a prayer for Gabriel please? He just has not been himself. I was becoming quite depressed over his personality changes. I'm relieved to know what it is. But we don't know when he'll be back to his old self. 
Thank You!
He means the world to us. 
And his little brothers miss the "old" Gabe.

4 comments:

  1. My grandson takes meds for ADHD. I don't like to see kids take this med, but in his case it really is a necessity. He is smart, but could not slow his brain down enough to learn. He was difficult to handle anywhere in public because he became so overstimulated. He could even be angry toward family members. The medication has helped so much but the side effects are disheartening for this grandma. He is SKINNY. He has no appetite while the meds are in effect for the approximate 12 hour period. After that, watch out refrigerator, here he comes! He still stays too thin. He sometimes gets very moody in the evenings when the med wears off. It is troublesome to say the least. It helps him in one way, seems to cause other problems in other ways. For the most part, the good outweighs the bad in his situation. I pray that you are able to figure out Gabriel's situation and get a quick resolution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, if medications help the side effects can be tolerated.
      Gabe's med is a "man-made form of a hormone that occurs naturally in the pituitary gland". It's to treat a personal problem. The side effects in his case are worse than the help. We are going to try a specialty clinic next. :o)

      Delete
  2. He is such an awesome young man I will pray for him. Your family is always in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Poor Gabe, and not a complaint. You know I'll add him to my prayers. So glad you figured out what's causing the changes you've been seeing. I pray he begins to feel like his old self soon. I know his little brothers and sisters will be patient and loving as they wait. I'll also be praying that insurance will make payment on any medicine that Gabe is needing and especially the formula that best helps him.
    Bloggy hugs to you! :) Love you all.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))