Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Joy Elizabeth, my JOY!

Joy was born before pictures were computerized. 1988. September 20th. She went home with Jesus Feb 24th, 1989. She was 5 months old.

I knew I'd name her Joy, but I had chosen the middle name Elise. My mom pointed out that her birthmom's name was Elizabeth and my name is Elizabeth. Her name should be Joy Elizabeth. So I agreed. We finalized her adoption her after her death, because we had not had time prior. We were the first in MN to do that.

During her life I took over 150 pictures of her doing everything they said she'd never do. Like roll over. Try to talk. Know who all 6 of her family members were. Bond to us like glue. Yes, in only 5 short months she did this and more. And I have the pictures to prove it!

Joy was born without nasal passages. It was called Choanal Atresia of the nose. She was also born with that extra special chromosome.

I had such big plans for her. Things like acting in our local theatre. Of course I was going to write the plays specifically for her. She would have the leading role. I had plans to start a magazine for "that woman with the extra something". Yes, like Oprah is on the cover of every Oprah magazine. My daughter Joy would be on the cover of every magazine! Modeling~ of course I would design a whole line of clothing after her!!

We went to the ENT with her weekly. She had 3 surgeries prior to her last. Her heart rate would plummet each time. After she went home with Jesus they saw she had an elctrocardial defect. The kind when people can drop and die without anyone knowing why.

We couldn't completely "correct" her nasal passages until she weighed 9 lbs. By Feb. 20th we had her up to 9 lbs! :o) She had terrible reflux. So it was hard. I tried to buy breast milk from nursing moms with no luck.

Each time she had a near death experience, she would be fascinated by lamps and ceiling lights. I think she was searching for God. And I can't blame her for going with Him so easily on that cold February day; at the hospital after surgery.

The nurse who tried to revive Joy had lost a baby herself. So I felt horrible for her, now going through this with me.
It was very hard for a long long time.

After she died Tom bought me a small plaque that says~ " You have taken away my sorrow and surrounded me with JOY!" Psalm 30:11

I can't wait to see her again. I always hoped for a daughter with DS. And she was my gift from God.

1 comment:

  1. Hugs. I know she was precious and so special. You did your very best - what God asked you to do! Thank you for loving her!

    Holly J.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))