Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Thursday, October 11, 2012

DS Myth buster # 99

Myht: Kids with developmental disabilities (including DS) don't go through adolescence!!
Are you kidding me?? It's called Developmental "Delay". The adolescence is "delayed". But let me warn you.............it comes! Just when you least expect it.
When you are thinking, seriously this guy surely must be an angel!
This guy turns 16 years old and gets an attitude!! LOL!! Full blown adolescence!

This August he turned 17 and well, he's still in adolescence. I know, it takes time, but I can hope it ends soon can't I? :o)

So no more helping mom as she drops things, no more idle chatter just for fun. Nope! Attitude.
Like- "so you dropped it mom, now pick it up yourself!"
Attitude like "I don't eat luke warm oatmeal anymore, heat it up for me dad!"
He quit making his bed, now I have to tell him to do it!!
My best helper has decided he's got more important things to do!!
I am not enjoying this! :o)

But I am enjoying that my big guy Samson is completely "normal". ;o)

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I've never heard that myth before but I know for a fact it's not true. My sister (DS) is almost 25 and she has just jumped from the early teen years to texting my dad things like "I refuse to eat my vegetables and you can't make me." She's now become quite the teen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how cute!! LOL!! We are not big on cell phones here, so Samson hasn't caught on to that.....yet! LOL!! However when his adult sibs visit the rest of the kids grab their cell phones as soon as they walk through the door!! LOL!!

      Delete
  2. Interesting...I'll have to keep this in mind!!! :) Blessings, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))