Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Monday, October 1, 2012

Blogging for Down Syndrome, Happy DS month!

I'm so excited to blog for Down Syndrome this year!
I had been less organized to participate, previous years.
Thanks to 5 blessings  (boys), I'm hyper organized now! LOL!!
                                    I'm ready to write!

I want to start the month with my LOVE, my MA.
We met 25 years ago. We had switched from child foster care to adult foster care. A mini- Group Home. Licensed for 4 adults with disabilities. MA was our very first client/love.

She had been living in large Group Home of over 30 adults run by Catholic Charities. She had lived there since she was 18. It was just a given if you had a disability, after high school you moved into a Group Home.

We were both 30 when we met. :o) Now she tells everyone how old I am. She tells everyone we are the same age! 55 :o)

I was her next step to independent living.

She had been raised in foster homes since she was 4 years old because her mother had died in a car accident. She was the youngest of 8.

I taught her how to write checks. Care for a home. Cook, manage a schedule. She was a quick learner. In 18 months she had her own apartment. She lived independently in the community for 6 years! I was her support system. Eventually her health became the reason she needed to move back with us. She needed frequent medical trips weekly. She couldn't do them herself. She was scheduled to move back with us in a few months. But I took her back early for free, it was silly to wait. She wasn't feeling well. She's been here ever since. :o)

My life has been blessed by MA in so many ways. I wish everyone could have a LOVE like MA in their lives. She teaches me how to be a better person. I thank God for her!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love to hear about Ma!:)
    Congratulations on your sweet little additions. I read your blog all the time, but don't comment very often. I love your family!!
    from AmyL
    http://lucasboysandme.blogspot.com/

    So sorry Amy I "rejected your comment accidentally! UGH!! Why don't they have an "are you sure you want to reject button" Aaack!
    Thank You!! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice story and you seem to have so much love to give. I have been following your blog for awhile but have never commented. Just wanted to say what a beautiful family you have.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))