Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Why are people so rude to those of us with disabilities?


We drove 140 miles round trip to get (6 of us) our biometric FPs done December 22.
They were busy. But not too busy.(last year there were 4 of us needing to be printed and they had us go on two different days) So we were glad to get it done at one time!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When the fingerprint appt. letter comes it has a small enclosure with a man in a wheel chair smiling on it. It asks- "Do you have a disability and need help?" and where to call. Well we would be with our gals and Samson so we didn't need to call for help. That enclosure made you think they were disability friendly. Far from the truth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They were so NOT happy to see 6 of us. They were so NOT happy that three of us were disabled. (So much for the smiling guy in the wheel chair.)
They barely "fixed" our 6 clipboards with our forms and IDs falling off and shoved them towards us. And when I told them "I" was the one watching the three with disabilities; (Ugh-I never think of Samson, MA or SP as disabled!)the woman receptionist looked at me angrily and said "Aren't there two of you?" As if to say get Tom over here to take one. :o(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The women who did the FPs were immigrants with accents. Who better than they to have patience with us? I'm sure they know how inconvenient the process is. Nope. They looked at us as though they had been asked to do something impossible. That they were being forced to print and touch retarded-mentally ill people. How sad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Of course I wish Samson, MA and SP didn't have to do these dumb fingerprints too. They have absolutely no criminal history. They couldn't live in our Group Home if they did!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our SP who is very mentally ill- cannot cooperate-she has sensory issues. It was made worse as she "sensed" the woman did not like her. So the FP woman kept threatening "This isn't going to work- tell her to stop pressing her fingers down." Finally after a few times of my asking SP not to do this, I said to the woman that SP was Mentally Ill. The woman blurted back "I Know!" Well then, I thought, why not give her a break? SPs fingerprints passed last year. This woman made it worse. We didn't dare ask her if they were o.k. SP is always hard to print even on paper.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When it was Samson's turn they had me stand by him until they saw he could understand what they requested and respond to them appropriatly. ugh!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When it was MAs turn she wet her depend and we had a few accident spots everywhere she sat- which I cleaned up. But they were looking as though they were ready to run from us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The whole thing was so incredibly stressful! They are never "happy" there from what we've experienced with 2 prior visits. But this visit was the worst ever! I hate to think of how much worse it would have been if we'd gone earlier than our appointment date, and begged to have them done early. We over-heard them tell one man- "Next time, come an hour within your appointment time or we'll send you away."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have never seen people with disabilities treated so rudely in our lives! As we left they were happy to see us go and said "Merry Christmas!" like we would "think Santa" and smile and get over it. We said Merry Christmas back- but we have never felt so unwelcome in our lives.
This was one of those times where their attitude just made everything harder for them and us. :o(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't know why they would "threaten" that Sandra's FPs were not going to work since they were there to help us! We paid $85.00 each for these, they weren't doing us a favor. It's not our fault the government requests prints from people with no criminal background or the ability to even commit a crime!

7 comments:

  1. As an occasional used book store volunteer, I am always eager and willing to assist those with special needs, especially the elderly, who make up a significant portion of the customers. We had a family with a girl who has DS come in and everyone was nothing less than kind to her and her family.

    I think it has much to do with the mental distinction between those with disabilities and those with special needs. To say that someone is simply "disabled" seems to imply that they are just inherently burdensome, whereas the alternative "special needs" suggests that, despite the obstacles involved, a person has certain needs that can be addressed to help them better adapt. I might be over-thinking it, but the term "disabled" does seem more dismissive to me, rather than optimistic.

    I'm sorry to hear that you guys had a bad experience, but just keep in mind that there are many of us here in support of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you and all those you love had to go through this. I can only say....it is for those children, one more cost to count that is yucky to go through now, but an experience worth it in the end. I'm pretty sure God will take care of their behaviors in his own way. In our experience...the people doing US fingerprints are the snottiest, meanest gov't workers we've run into. We've been treated just as rudely here. They must have a manual on "crummy things to say/do in various situations" to read before their first day on the job :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That is truly awful, and I'm so sorry your crew had to go through it. I'm sorry you are sick, too! Will be praying for you to heal up and for all to go smoothly for your precious boys in the coming days. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO sorry you had to deal with this!!! God made us all. I am not disabled but I have a couple of physical attributes that make me not "one of the pretty people", (in other words I am fat) and I do know what it feels like to be treated differently because of that. No, probably not in the same exact way, but still, it is very, very unfair and unjust for one human being to treat another one indifferently due to life's circumstances. I always say that my "imperfections" make me a far more compassionate person than those who spend all their time doting on themselves. God makes special people to do special things in this world!!! I have loved watching your story unfold and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the next three angels. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous- I should add I wear glasses with one side completely shaded for my blnd right eye. Perhaps they thought I was going to make things 'difficult" too? I'm fat also- but they seemed fine with that ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs Justice date people with disabilities Parker to make decisions about whether the person I'm trying to find a better view.
    Instead of standing, Larissa sits at the altar
    to be alongside the still seriously disabled Ian.
    The Commission also said a number of staff as being caring and kind and I am sure there are going
    to have to date and take care of him.

    Look at my blog post: Undateables

    ReplyDelete
  7. people with disabilities are no different to people without

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))