Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Thursday, January 19, 2012

clothing!

Clothing for kids and adults with DS is always a challenge. Not that it isn't a challenge for other people also. Like my precious little mom who is so tiny she could wear size 16 girls clothing at age 79! But those with that extra special chromosome share some common "fitting" problems that the fashion industry does not address!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Like my big guy Samson. He's not that tall for 16, but he is built solid and physically he has always matured faster than his older by 6 months, taller thinner brother. He even got his beard way earlier than big bro! He's not my little boy anymore! He's a young man!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shirts always have sleeves too long for Samson, and pants- forget it! When the waist fits the legs are loooong, when the leg length is right the waist is too tight! Sweat pants are great- they fit pretty good and the elastic around the ankle holds them up! But a wardrobe of sweat pants is just boring!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I found about 20 new pairs of pants around town that fit great, but all need to be hemmed. I'm afraid I've become so picky about having his pants fit well that I'll be sewing him pants from scratch soon! The new pants I found have sat for a year now waiting for me to cut 3 1/2 to 5 inches off, press, pin and hem. But I just don't have time for such tedious sewing!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So tonight it hit me! Slip elastic in the already sewn hem on the pants legs! This keeps the pants up around his ankles, and it doesn't look unusual at all on his sporty looking pants. Even his camouflage pants look good this way! It's kind of the style. I've seen pants with this look that tied at the ankle. They look good now and he's not tripping! Of course this would not work with dress pants or anything fancy! But I just pulled a few threads, slipped the elastic in and was done in record time! I used fabric glue where I pulled the stitches.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now I had more time to hem MA's nightgowns- ready made gowns are always too long! Make 4 new Duvet covers for our boys. And sew up fleece jammies for 4 little homeschoolers who needed warm jammies for our -15 below nights here!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you know how to sew AND found some time to do it! 15 below? Yikes! Makes me shiver just to think about it. I have a pile of mending or alterations that I find very hard to sit down and do. Not fun.
    I'm sure your kiddos are going to be so glad to have their new duds! And MA, too! Now, I'm headed over to sew on a little project for a certain auction at Hidden Treasures. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of sewing! So far Julianne can pull of the Gymboree "leggings" as pants. She can also wear the pants that have elastic adjustable waists. Why don't they do that to all pants?? lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))