Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))

Welcome!! Grab a cup of coffee and visit with us! We hope you enjoy our story! (((HUGS)))
CLICK ON THE BOYS PICTURE TO READ OUR FAMILY BLOG

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A bad night, my mistake

We are on our own with Tom gone in Eastern Europe. So it's me and the still at home kids (the other 8 are grown up) ages 7,7,8,10,15 1/2, 16,and almost 18 yr old. Two group home gals. The dogs, shoveling the 5" of snow we got the day after Tom left. Homeschool. Etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Another substantial snow fall is predicted to start tonight. With more snow possible on Friday. I had to park the 15 passenger van in the driveway because with my vision loss, I do not drive in snow until it is snow plowed off the streets. Now we'll need to shovel the van out of the driveway to pick up Tom on Saturday! The plow has plowed the van in through the alley.

Did I also tell you that I received jury summons on Monday ?? No! I didn't need that! So I called the court house and a woman named "Lucky" answered? Is that a professional name? She was not lucky for me and talked to me like I was an idiot when she told me my options as a self employed sole family support person who cannot leave her business to be a juror. UGH. I still don't know exactly what she meant.

Our current two group home women are quite hands on.(that's our M.A. with DS in the picture, we're up north) There are lots of meds, supervision, schedules, behaviors (of course I have my own behaviors that they put up with too) and they leave the house daily for their Day Programs. M.A. is mainstreamed into a Retirement Center. S.P. is still "working" on piece work at a (DAC- day activity center) S.P. goes in the afternoon 1:30 to 7:30. M.A. goes in the morning 8:30- 2:30 p.m. I get them ready. Assist hair washing, bathing. They are both suffering from dementia, M.A. has Alzheimer's, S.P. has Schizophrenia (active, acting out Schizophrenia) related dementia. Long story short-Yup, it's alot of work, but these women are a blessing and a huge part of our family. I owe them. They bless my life. It is an honor to serve them.

Last night I was very tired. (Duh! LOL!) And as I was administering meds. to the women, I gave one of the women the wrong medication. They actually take the same meds before bed except for 2 pills. Unfortunately 1 of the pills causes extreme drowsiness, confusion, restlessness as possible side effects. It must be a hard med to take. Especially when given to the wrong person.

The med I accidentally gave was at 7 p.m.
By 10 p.m. I realized my error. I called the Dr immediately. Then from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. it was rough. She was super restless and asleep. I had to protect her. At 2 a.m. I laid next to her bed on the wood floor. At 4 a.m. I moved to the living room. At 6 a.m. I got up to get the kids up. She was awake and well by 8:30 a.m. I cleaned her up put fresh bedding on her bed and she slept till 2:30 p.m. Praise God, she is doing fine, she just lost a day.

It was a night of prayer on my knees. Wrestling with an angel. Asking God for forgiveness. Alone here without Tom's help. He Skyped at 10:30 p.m.
He felt so helpless in EE when he heard the news. He was just as sick about what happened as I was. But that didn't help us. I had called the Dr and the Dr told me it would be o.k. and it was. But it was rough. Tom had made this same med error about 6 or 7 years ago. However the med re-acted different this time. It was worse. I sure didn't need this to happen during our joyful adoption time.

I'm thrilled to say all prayers were answered. But I am physically and emotionally dead and sleep deprived. Decision making is so HARD!! LOL!! I second guess myself about everything now and then take notes so I don't "forget". This has been rough to say the least. Next trip I hire a helper!

So Tom and I only connected on Tuesday a few minutes to talk about the crisis. He did get pictures of the boys, but has informed me he has no clue how to put them on the new mini-laptop! OY-VEY!! We had no time to talk about the boys because he was going to bed and I was still busy with our gal. It is almost 1 a.m. there right now and almost 5 p.m. here.
We won't Skype until 10:30 p.m. here tonight. Then he'll be off to see the boys again! :o)

God is so good!!
(((HUGS))) to all and prayers would be appreciated! :o)
Joyfully,
Elizabeth blessed servant of God





4 comments:

  1. Oh...I'm so sorry you had a rough time :( I was going to give you a hard time about not posting any pictures of the boys- guess you get out of that THIS time!! :) Wish I lived closer so I could try to help you a bit- at least to shovel snow. Prayers for you as you try to keep everything running at home- prayers for Tom as you goes through the emotions of everything over there- and prayers for the boys as they get to know their soon-to-be Daddy!!! Blessings, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you sweet friend. satan would love for you to be discouraged, but (as you so know and have reminded me) GOD loves you so much and understands. Love and hugs (and many prayers)...get some sleep!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My....bless your heart! I will be praying for you to get rested up and for you to be able enjoy these wondrous moments of anticipation. You are a wonder of a woman! May God give you rest and strength until your reinforcement comes home....don't you just love what a gift our husbands are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you had such a rough time, especially with the medicine mistake. Try not to be too hard on yourself.
    I'll be praying God gives you and Tom the strength you each need to accomplish your goals for your family.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :o) so please be kind! (((HUG)))